Friday, September 2, 2011

The Lesson A Beautiful Dress Taught Me

This morning I had to run to do a quick chore, always on my bicycle. Coming back home I took the usual short cut through the tunnel under the railroad station. As I emerged from the tunnel my eyes were arrested by a lady in a stunning outfit. I couldn't see the lady's face so it wasn't anything about the lady herself, only the dress she was wearing. It also had a lot to do with the setting we were in.

The railroad station is a small affair in the middle of a residential setting. The parking lot is a small dirt and gravel thing that gives the place a look of disrepair. Anything of any beauty would stand out in that setting but to see an elegant and colourful dress in the middle of that dirty parking lot drew the eye in a natural manner.

The strange thing is I heard the Spirit speak immediately. "This is what you are to the world." It took my breath away. Yes, he's right. In this dark and miserable world where so many ugly things exist, we should stand out in stark contrast. It's not us but the garment of Christ we have been given to wear. If we could just stop living for ourselves for a second to realize God's purpose in us. We use to sign a chorus to this effect in the church:

"Let the beauty of Jesus be seen in me
All His wonderful passion and purity
Oh, Thou Spirit divine, all my nature refine
Till the beauty of Jesus be seen in me"


We have nothing to offer this world expect the beauty of Jesus which we wear as a wonderful garment. It is what the Holy Spirit produces in us when we live a life submitted to the Father's will, desiring nothing more than to love as Jesus has loved us. The Fruit of the Spirit is that beauty. We do not need to plan days of "Random acts of kindness", we only need to live our life for Jesus instead of ourselves. The rest will come naturally every day as the Spirit changes us to be like Jesus. Patience, kindness, mercy, grace, forgiveness and love will be an everyday action.

Oh Lord, may the world see your beauty covering me and respond to your great love. May I live my life today, empty of myself and filled by your love.

No comments: