Monday, January 30, 2012

Correction and Unfailing Love

I was in prayer, worshiping the Lord while seeking his wisdom and guidance. My heart was troubled and I did not want it to be troubled. A number of things have not been right lately and I want to get my finger on it, to understand and to correct those things. I want everything to be aligned with God's heart. Generosity has been overwhelming me since the start of my fast. Generosity and grace.

As I prayed I was overwhelmed by his presence and found myself on my face in my kitchen. I was overwhelmed by his peace and a quietness came to my troubled heart. Images began to flash through my mind but I could not focus and what I saw I did not understand. The moment passed and he had me rise and turn to the Word. This is what was read:

"He has driven me away and made me walk in darkness rather than light; indeed, he has turned his hand against me again and again, all day long." (Lamentation 3:2)

I was not encouraged by this but neither did it sink deep into my heart. I read:

"He has broken my teeth with gravel; he has trampled me in the dust. I have been deprived of peace; I have forgotten what prosperity is. So I say, 'My splendor is gone and all that I had hoped from the Lord.' I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them and my soul is downcast within me." (Lamentations 3:16-20)

Again not an encouragement and again it did not sink deep although I could easily identify with the scriptures. But then I read what caused my spirit to take flight and for my hope to be renewed:

"Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.'" (Lamentations 3:21-24)

"I will wait for him." I will wait for him. I will wait for the lover of my soul to call to me, to lift me up, to bring me out of this situation, to rescue me. We call to him and wait patiently for him, not struggling in our strength but knowing he is the only one who can meet with us in this need.

"The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."  (Lamentations 3:25-26)

But while we wait on the Lord let us follow the direction given to us. Let us seek him with all our heart, an openness to be examined and corrected:

"Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord. Let us lift up our hearts and our hands to God in heaven, and say: 'We have sinned and rebelled and you have not forgiven.'" (Lamentations 3:40-42

Only, we do know that he forgives. Through Jesus we are covered by his mercy and grace. If only we would turn our face, our hearts to him, to look upon his glory and understand where we have wandered from his path, his direction and his purpose. Nothing is hidden from the Lord but everything is forgiven when we turn back to him. Let us lift up Holy Hands and worship him with all our passion and strength, confessing our sins and waiting on him for our rescue.

You are faithful Lord and we trust you. We empty ourselves to you and seek your council, your direction, your purpose for us. We believe Lord in your unfailing love. Here we are, we stand with our arms wide open, to the One, the Son, the everlasting God.

No comments: