Friday, April 6, 2012

Condemned (passion week, day 6, part 6)

(re-post)

... he stood before Pilate.

By the looks of it, he didn't have an easy time of it with Herod. Maybe the robe was a bit much. The poor guy. I wonder if he really thinks it is all still worth it.

So, he's back and I need to do something about this. I have no real crime to charge him with. It's not like he led some revolt or even spoke about overthrowing Rome. There is nothing except this claim to be king. Am I suppose to crucify every madman in Israel? There wouldn't be too many people left to govern.

Now my wife is at me, something about a bad dream. That's not like her. She's never tried to interfere with official Rome business. I really don't have a good feeling about this man or this situation.

But there is this thing about releasing a prisoner for their passover. Surely if this man is as popular as Caiaphas would have me believe then it should be no problem to have this matter dealt with. If I give them a choice between a murderer and a prophet surely they will choose their beloved prophet, even if he is a madman.

It looks like everyone is ready.

He strode out to his seat of judgement and waited for the crowd to settle.

“Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?”

What's this? Another message from his wife? In the middle of this?

He read: “Don’t have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him.”

Meanwhile he did not notice the chief priests of this land weaving through the crowd, whispering, gesturing. It seemed all too much for Pilate. The priests, Herod, his wife. What was it about this man? He just wanted the whole thing to be over with.

"Which of the two do you want me to release to you?”



“Barabbas.” 

What? Did he really hear them right? Did they really call for the release of the murderer? Maybe they don't understand what this means for Jesus.

“What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called Christ?”

“Crucify him!”

He stopped breathing.

How can this be right? These people are calling for the crucifixion of one of their own? He'd never heard of such a thing. 

He gave Jesus a sideways glance. What is it about this man?

“Why? What crime has he committed?”

I have to reason with them.

“Crucify him!”

The crowd was getting out of hand. If he didn't do something quickly he could lose control here. That's all he needed. This innocent man was going to die. 

Well, everyone is guilty of something. 

“I am innocent of this man’s blood. It is your responsibility!”

“Let his blood be on us and on our children!”

Whoa! This is getting a bit much.

Looking to the guard he nodded. As they led Jesus away he washed his hands in front of the crowd to make sure they got the message.

As he watched this tragic figure leave, he couldn't help but feel a profound sense of sadness. 

Of well, not my fault. I tried to help...

No comments: