Sunday, July 27, 2014

Seeing Past The Trees

It is easy to lose perspective. In fact, many of us live in a situation where we can't see the forest because of the trees. We are limited by the place where we are standing and often need to be lifted higher so we can put it all in perspective. It is not minimizing what you are facing. It is not allowing someone to say "my pain is greater than your pain". It is simply allowing yourself to see your situation in the context of the whole. We start doubting Jesus when we can't see past the "trees".

We need to always keep our life in context to who we love and serve. We are followers of the miracle maker; the one who walked on water; who spoke to the storms to quiet them; who fed thousands with a simple lunch; who brought sight to the blind, who raised the dead; who cured leprosy; who spoke life where there was only death. This is the context of our life: "It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me".

We are not the first to face overwhelming circumstances, and we probably won't be the last. Moses was a man who faced a lot of problems. I don't think we can truly appreciate the "trees" of Moses' life. He was the leader of millions of people in the desert. How do you feed millions of people in the desert? Where do you find enough water? Just the shear size of the logistics of these things would be enough to cripple the minds of most leaders today. Can we blame him for questioning Yahweh's promise to provide meat for this complaining nation?

Yet, Moses was failing to keep his problems in the context of the whole. He wasn't dealing with a food wholesaler here. He was talking to Yahweh, the one who conquered Egypt to rescue his people. This is the one who parted the waters so they could escape Egypt's army. This is the one who had led, protected and provided for them up to this point. Yahweh's simple respond was meant to help Moses keep it in perspective:

“Has the Lord’s arm been shortened? Now you shall see whether what I say will happen to you or not.” (Numbers 11:23)

Yahweh is saying, "Did I change Moses?" "Did I lose my strength?" "Has something happened to prevent me from providing like I have provided all the other times?"

I don't know what you are facing or what you have faced but I know the one who is available to get you past it. I know the one who provides, protects and leads. I know the one who strengthens, encourages and lifts up. I know the one who walks through all our misery with us to get us past it. I know his power, his love, his compassion and grace. I know he loves you and has plans for you. I know he is with you now.

Stop trying to rescue yourself. Stop trying to make sense of it all. Run to Jesus. Cry out to him. He will help you put it all in perspective. He will lift you up over the trees so you can see the forest. He will remind you that he has already accomplished everything for you so you have nothing to fear. Trust him. Let him lead, even if there are a few valleys with shadows. He is taking you to better places. Trust.



No comments: