Saturday, June 20, 2020

Can God Use Trump?

I can tell you right now that this is going to be a blog that doesn't satisfy anyone. It is not a political post nor is it pro or con Trump. I am not anti-politics, I just reserve my political views for face-to-face discussions. No, the purpose of this post is to state how the Lord can and will use anyone to move his will forward.

There has been a lot of debate about why Christians put their trust in someone like president Trump. From all appearances he is not a standard bearer for the righteousness of Jesus, King of kings. I don't need to go into the details because I believe most of us are overly familiar with his statements and actions. But does this mean that the Lord cannot use this man?

Just to get it out of the way, let's point out the "let who who has not sinned cast the first stone" situation. My past is filled with incidents where I fell far short of my Father's standard of love. I am still learning and growing so I am certain there will be other areas in which I fail. You too. Does this mean that I am no longer of any use to my King? Or you? Hardly.

The Lord knew what he was doing when he went to the cross for me. He sits at the right hand of Father today explaining why we get it wrong sometimes. He knows me, understands me and intercedes for me because he loves me. It is the same heart of our Father who desires that everyone would be reconciled to him. As Scripture says, if he is for us who can be against us?

Does this mean that President Trump is a Christian? I don't know but I do know that Christians, especially immature ones, have a lot to learn about the righteousness of our King. We know this to be a process and one that we are walking through in cooperation with the Holy Spirit. There is only One who is perfect in love and we are growing up into that maturity.

Now let's suppose President Trump is not a Christian. Does this mean that our King cannot use him to move his will forward? Hardly. Scripture is filled with examples of how Yahweh blessed and even increased unrighteous leaders in order to move his will forward or in order to keep his promises.

Just this morning I was considering the life of king Abijah who was considered a wicked king. He only reigned a few years in Judah but long enough that he was in a battle with the rest of Israel. He was outnumbered and surrounded but even though he was wicked, Yahweh still fought that battle for him and gave him victory because of a promises he had given to David. Yet there were other wicked kings that Yahweh refused to help. 

There is another reason why many Christians support Trump. It comes down to scripture that tells us to support and pray for the leadership, understanding that it is the Lord who raises and lowers governments. There are definitely times that the Lord will raise the world to take down a leader that has gotten out of control. But when the world comes against someone the Lord has established then he will defend that leader.

At the end of the day I cannot discern the will of my King simply because of someones words or actions. I need to be in tune with Father's heart and in step with the Spirit in order to understand the mind of Christ. We cannot afford to judge by mere appearances and must discern according to the will of our Father, which is readily available for us to know.

And this may be the reason why so many Christians feel compelled to support a man that appears to be at odds with the principles of the Kingdom.

No comments: