Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Prepare For Impact

What impact are you having on this world? A crazy question to wake up to, isn't it. It is a question I have been pondering all morning, ever since reading through the life of king Solomon. 

Solomon is a tragic figure in history. We can celebrate his beginning and mourn his ending but there are parts in between that can spark some interesting thoughts. For example, the visit by the Queen of Sheba.

She had heard of Solomon and traveled a long distance with a lot of stuff to gift to Solomon, all because she wanted to discover for herself if the stories were true. After she thoroughly examined everything she stated that the half had not been told to her. She was amazed by this man and the wisdom he demonstrated in every aspect of his life as king.

What struck me was how she saw his purpose. She didn't state that he was a fortunate man. She didn't point out the benefits of this wisdom for Solomon at all. Her conclusion was that Yahweh must truly love the people of the Israeli Kingdom because he had given them Solomon on the thrown. The king was a blessing to his people because he did not hoard the wealth but instead used it to make the whole kingdom and the friends of the kingdom prosperous. Solomon had a very positive impact on the atmosphere of the region.

Unfortunately he later had a negative impact on the same atmosphere that would be longer lasting than the blessings. 

It was because of his relationship, his obedience and dedication to Yahweh that Solomon was a conduit of blessing. It was from the overflow of this obedience that God's blessings flowed into everyone in the kingdom and the surrounding nations. Yahweh was pleased to do this. However, when the obedience stopped the blessings stopped. Solomon got distracted, forgot his place, made it about him and wandered away from Yahweh.

I sit here in this moment with the laughter of my children ringing throughout the house as they blissfully enjoy the innocents of their childhood. What they experience in this home has everything to do with my obedient walk with Jesus. It has everything to do with me keeping in step with the Spirit, being attentive to the voice of Father. It has everything to do with leaning into my King with a growing passion to act on his commands.

I am designed to impact the atmosphere of my home and community. But will that impact be one of blessings or strife? Father has designed me to be his conduit of blessings, encouragement and love to the people I impact. He has designed me to be his image bearer, to do what I have seen him do, and say what I have heard him say. He has brought me into a Kingdom of love, respect and honour so that I will impact my family and community with love, respect and honour. But this is so powerful, so otherworldly that I cannot generate this myself no matter how much I want to do it myself.

The impact on atmosphere I have been designed for is supernatural and the source is found in my relationship with Jesus. I am empowered by free flowing grace but it is not a stand alone thing. It is not a gift that was bestowed on me and then I am released on the world. Apart from Jesus I can do nothing because the source of this free flowing grace that empowers me is my connection to the Vine, my relationship with my King. 

That's where Solomon lost it and where I never want to. David knew this and that is why he cried out for Yahweh not to remove him from his presence, to not take his Spirit away. Without Spirit we are nothing and we have nothing. The greatest value we bring to the table of our families and communities is the passionate, obedient love we have for Jesus that then allows us to bless everyone with an impacted atmosphere that happens from the overflow of our blessed life.


No comments: