Friday, September 19, 2014

The Word As The Word Is Enough

I can't deny it as I look in the mirror: I have a lot of experience under my belt. I am not saying I am old but I am more old than I am young these days. I find myself now asking the Lord for a lot of grace when I hear people, just starting out in life, so strongly expressing their opinions on things they have barely experienced. But neither is experience all that it is cracked up to be.

Experience really depends on what you do with it. You can experience the same mistake a hundred times but if you are not willing to be honest about it you will never gain anything from the experience. Life is always about learning and growing. Often the learning comes through "breaking" and "melting" moments of our lives but there has to be a vulnerability, a willingness to be broken. But beyond broken, there must also be a willingness to be healed.

There are far too many broken people in the world. There seems to be even more in the Church. Brokenness can be a very good thing as long as we understand that the purpose is to move out of it with greater wisdom than we went into it with. The problem is that many people prefer to remain broken when Jesus wills us to be healed and made whole.

For those who do seek healing in their brokenness, it is my experience, the Word of God is essential for comfort, understanding, healing and growth. We don't need anything outside of the Word as it is sufficient in itself. Many stay in their brokenness because they seek comfort in the wisdom of this world or they try to add on to God's Word, but God's Word is fantastic as it is, all on it's own:

Every word of God is pure;
He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.

Do not add to His words,
Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar. (Proverbs 30:5-6)


Yes, it has been my experience that there have been days I have looked in the mirror and seen what a liar I was. All of us have tried to leverage God's Word to our advantage but Jesus will never allow us to remain in such a state. He will rebuke us, correct us and bring us to the truth of the matter. It is for our benefit. I hope we are able to be honest with ourselves and Jesus in those moments.

There is a lot of unhealed brokenness and a lot of liars-to-self walking around in the Body of Christ. The best way to ensure that we are not in this number is to allow the Word of God to be the authority of Yahweh in our lives. Allow it to not only break us but to bring healing as well. Allow it to reveal the hidden things, to convict, correct, encourage, comfort and grow us. The Word of God is the tool of the Holy Spirit as we are shaped and molded into the character of Jesus. So allow it to happen without adding to it. The Word as the Word is enough.


No comments: