Monday, February 16, 2015

Who Gave You Those Mad Skills?

You think you have mad skills? Are you amazingly good at something? Thinking it is you? Do you know where those skills, talents, gifts, abilities actually come from? Certainly you have had to practice and refine them but where does the seed of the skill originate?

There is a passage in Exodus that always gives me pause to think and reflect on Yahweh's hand in my life. He knit me together in my mother's womb, he spoke into my life, he planted seeds to bloom as I grow, he gave me the raw materials that he would later build on. This includes my skills and abilities. The passage is found in  Exodus 31, a not exciting passage as the Lord was giving Moses the details of the tabernacle that would be built. But consider this:

“See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills." (Exodus 31:2-3)

And for people who think it was a one off:

"Also I have given ability to all the skilled workers to make everything I have commanded you." (v. 6) 

Artisans of every stripe, whether painters or builders, bakers or pilots, writers or home makers, have this nature of highs and lows. They can go from feeling really great about their abilities to feeling lost in the darkness of self-doubt. That's because we are trying to define who we are and what we do outside of the intended purpose. Everything we have been given has been intended to bring glory to the Lord and to be focused on his direction. These are not skills and abilities that are for personal glory or fame. These are not skills to be used selfishly but are given as means to bless our God and other people. They are not to be done and stored away in secret but to be put on display and acknowledged as coming from the Lord.

Too often we take the glory for ourselves but if we want to see real skills then we need to allow the power of the Lord to flow through us, bringing those skills to the highest heights. Those skills, talents and abilities are gifts from Yahweh to be used as he directs for his purpose and glory. Acknowledge that and see what he does through you.



No comments: