Saturday, November 24, 2012

Let's Let Them Know About Jesus!

Given the right circumstance and motivation, we can all be bold. Some of you know that I was always a quiet kid growing up; quiet when adults were around. However, get me with my friends, away from everyone else and I was a wild man. At home with my parents I was a reader, stayed to myself, didn't venture an opinion on anything. With my friends I was an adventurer, building forts in the tree tops, daring to jump bikes over dangerous places, speeding down snow covered hills at break-neck speed. In the right circumstances we are all bold.

Boldness takes a certain level of confidence and trust. When we are with those we trust, those who we know will watch out for us, those who accept us for who we are, those who do not put limits on us, we can be fiercely bold. Imagine how bold we should be in the presence of our Lord and friend. Imagine how we should be all day long as we journey through the day with our Jesus. Imagine the confidence we should have in obedience to our King, who has promised to always be with us and who knows us better than anyone else. Imagine the comfort we feel considering Jesus has seen us at our worst and still covers us, still calls us blameless and innocent and who still desire a deeper relationship with us.

Who cares what anyone else has to say or whatever opinion anyone else has. I am looking for Jesus' approval and I want to do his will. All day long I just want to be in obedience to his desire for me. It's all that matters. It's all that should matter.

Remember though, he has purpose for our living. He has given us a message to give to others. He has done something wonderful for us and has told us to tell others about it. He wants the whole world to know how wonderful and loving he is. He wants them to know there is hope, a way out, a better life, a greater way, someone to love them, someone to set them free. You have that message they need to hear. You are Jesus' testimony.

It's not easy at times because our flesh still tries to hold us back. We hate rejection. We hate standing out in a crowd. We hate being alone, caste out, marginalized. But this is where we need to remember how important Jesus is to us and we need to remember we have been called to this important task and we need to remember the boldness that is ours because of this relationship. Apostle Paul knew it was hard at times but he also knew he had to be bold in the proclamation of the good news:

Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. (Ephesians 6:19-20)

Fearlessly? What did Paul have to fear? Death? Rejection? That his flesh would try to set different priorities for him? That he would be worried about the opinions of others? Paul had more enemies than all of us combined and he was facing trial. Paul was about to stand before Caesar and he did not want that fact to cower him into speechlessness, or to react by his flesh. He recognized his weakness and he wanted to be strengthened against it.

Do you love Jesus enough to seek fearlessness in your daily walk, in your speech  decision making, and proclamations you make every day? Are you willing to live large according to the Spirit's direction, to be bold in sharing the good news of what Jesus has done for you? There is no time for reserved character or shyness. If Jesus is our confidence then we should be able to talk about him all day long. Don't hide the good news in your secret spiritual closet. Bring it out for the whole world to see and marvel at the greatness, love and grace of our Jesus. If you need prayer for this then we will pray for you. Let's let them know about Jesus!










No comments: