Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Problem With Complaining

What are you complaining about today? What is the thing that is disturbing your peace and joy? For me it is the fact that I am being accused of not attending an online training session yesterday. I got up at 4 am so that I could attend a 5:30 am session. However, the company had made a mistake and I was unable to sign in for the 5:30 am session so I tried the 6 am with the same result. They resolved that problem but then the room would not load at 6:30 am. Finally at 7 am I was able to get in. Then this morning I received an email accusing me of not being in attendance. As soon as I saw it that complaining spirit rushed through the door and filled my heart.

The problem with complaining is that it doesn't leave room for anything else. It also goes contrary to the Spirit of God. Complaining robs us of our thankful heart. If there is one attitude that should be constantly ours it is the attitude of thanksgiving, no matter the circumstances. Thanksgiving is provoked in us when we make the decision to trust Jesus with everything, and I mean everything.

There is a lot to complain about in this world and in our life. We could find things to complain about all day long but what does it do for us other than disturb our spirit, turn us into an ugly person and seed terrible things in other people. Complaining constantly got the Israelites in trouble. Complaining tells God that you do not trust or appreciate him. It also promotes ourselves above the needs of other people.

We are told time and again in the Word of God to be a thankful people. It is when we let go of the negative stuff, trusting God to deal with it, while we concentrate all the good things God fills our day with. You will find it throughout the Word but in Ephesians Paul wrote:

Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 5:19-20)

"Always giving thanks to God" keeps us where we need to be, in that place of peace and joy. Giving thanks is a decision that gets easier every day as we begin to recognize, more and more, the good things God is pouring out into us. Giving thanks leads to a life of rejoicing:

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! (Philippians 4:4)

In fact, it is in that same section that Paul writes:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

Notice the place of thanksgiving  With thanksgiving, not a spirit of complaining, present your requests to God. There is the promise of peace.

Complaining does nothing but destroy the peace that Jesus promised to us. However, thanksgiving benefits not only us but everyone around us. Check yourself today. Is it a complaining spirit that fills your mouth or a spirit of thanksgiving? Are those complaints falling off your tongue or the sweet praises of our loving Father. No matter the situation, trust that Jesus has your back and rejoice. I repent of my complaining spirit this morning and pray blessing upon the company that God is using to provide for me and my family. Rejoicing because of the blessing of work today.







No comments: