Thursday, January 29, 2015

Peace: The Great Weapon Of War

I was confronted by a thought yesterday that has me still working it out today. Maybe it is something you are well aware of but it is something I had never really thought about, and it has put a smile on my face and a cheer in my heart. And it is simple.

How does the enemy try to keep us off balance? That is what he is doing because the last thing he wants us to do is get any traction in our relationship with Jesus. He won't stop us from going to church or reading our Bible but he will do what he can to make sure those activities do not have a lasting effect on us. The last thing he wants us to know is our true identity in Jesus.

The tools he loves to use is fear, anxiety and worry. These things will keep our mind distracted and keep us busy trying to rescue ourselves. These things keep us awake at night, effect our health and keep us moving in the opposite direction to Jesus. The he does not want us to understand that the peace of Jesus, a free gift to us, is a great weapon of war.

Yes, that is the thought I was confronted with yesterday: peace is a weapon of war. Seems a bit strange right? As long as we are fearful the enemy is winning. As long as we are worried and anxious about our problems he is dancing about with glee. But the moment that the peace of the Lord is established in us, any foot holds the enemy had are lost and he must flee from the presence of the Lord in us. Powerful:

"Peace I leave with you. My peace I give you. I give to you not as the world gives. Don’t be troubled or afraid." (John 14:27)

This peace cannot be manufactured by us. We don't produce it by happy thoughts or positive thinking. This is a supernatural peace that shields us in all circumstances. It protects our heart, mind, spirit and soul. It protects our relationship in Jesus. It is a shield that the enemy can only throw mud at, he can't overcome it, but he will try to make us let go of it. It frustrates him when we hold on tight.

We have this peace in our relationship with Jesus because ours is a reality not understood by the flesh but dictated by the Spirit:

"I’ve said these things to you so that you will have peace in me. In the world you have distress. But be encouraged! I have conquered the world.” (John 16:33)

This great weapon of warfare defies all human logic and understanding. It goes in the opposite direction of where our natural self wants to go. We have to make the decision that we are people of faith, that we trust Jesus and that we will give all peace-disturbing things over to him:

Don’t be anxious about anything; rather, bring up all of your requests to God in your prayers and petitions, along with giving thanks. Then the peace of God that exceeds all understanding will keep your hearts and minds safe in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

Safe! There are no short cuts, no pills to take, no 7 step systems: there is only faith. Faith says I trust Jesus over the obvious reality of this world and I know through him I am already victorious. Faith says I accept your gift Jesus, my Lord and my King. I encourage you to meditate on the truth of Scripture and to defeat the enemy of your soul today: Peace be with you.



No comments: