Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Adventure Begins


So here it is, the night before we leave and all my carefully laid out plans have fallen apart. I was suppose to be in bed two hours ago with everything packed nicely into our rented vehicle. Instead I am sitting here trying to figure out what we have forgotten with the vehicle only particially packed. Four AM comes early but I am positive that we will be off by 5 AM with everything we need.

Ian and I have managed to put togther 8 computers to take with us which will double the amount of computers available to us in Mistissini. This is pretty good and I am pleased with it, even though some of these computers are being held together by bubble gum and duct tape.

Today was a day of frustration as we kept encountering obstacles. This morning I was trying to finish off the lessons but the Internet kept dropping on me and a hundred other things wanted my attention. Then we went to purchase the needed supplies for the school and found out that the store was practically sold out of some items. When I went to pay for them I discovered I had a daily limit on my line of credit. Who knew. Then I went to buy groceries for those remaining behind and discovered there is a reason I go grocery shopping with a list. Without a list I just stand in the middle of the store and wonder what I should do.

The craziest thing was when we went to get the rental vehicle. Ian called to find out where it was on the street. That's when we discovered we had made a huge mistake. We had written down the reservation as 4:30 pm whereas the company closed at 4 pm. We had 8 minutes to make a 25 minute drive. The gentleman was very nice and said that he would wait until 4:10 but not a minute longer. That left us a deficit of 7 minutes.

At 4:05 pm, when we were nowhere near the rental store, I had Ian call and offer the guy $40 to wait for us. The poor guy had a family function to get to. He laughed and said he would wait. He told us to keep the money. We made it at 4:14 pm. He was a very nice gentleman.

So, anticipating a better day tomorrow I am going to say goodnight to all of you. Watch for us here and on Facebook. Goodnight and God bless.

No comments: